RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (341) < ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... >   
  Topic: UnReasonable Kansans thread, AKA "For the kids"< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 16 2007,00:28   

http://reasonablekansans.blogspot.com/2007/04/check-it-out.html

Check it out...

I'm not exactly sure why, but this picture just seriously cracks me up. It's a picture of Eugenie Scott, who wants to stop creation science at all cost, and Ken Ham the anti-evolutionist. There they are looking like long lost friends standing in front of a dinosaur in Ham's new Creation Museum. .

okay..

Ken Ham the anti-evolutionist.

He's also anti plate tectonics, cosmology or anything else that disagrees with a literal interpretation of the bible. That would make him a...

C...
Cr...
Creat...

Come on ForTheKids, you can do it!

I bet you think ken Ham is an IDer.. bless your cotton socks.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Faid

(Permalink) Posted: April 16 2007,09:48   

Quote (argystokes @ April 15 2007,18:55)
So, FTK, will you be providing support for Egnor's latest over at your blog?
http://www.evolutionnews.org/2007/04/post_18.html
The best real biological test of "shuffling around information, duplicating, and altering the information" is cancer. According to Dr. Novella’s reasoning, brain tumors ought to be generating quite a bit of "meaningful and even useful new information." Better neuroanatomy and better neurophysiology ought to be popping up "easily." Better frontal lobes and cognition, from cancer. Better temporal lobes and memory, from cancer. Better cerebellums and coordination, from cancer. If random mutations and natural selection—Dr. Novella’s "two stroke engine"—is the source of all functional integrated biological complexity, brain tumors ought to help our brains evolve in some way.

Perhaps Dr. Novella has data that show real evolutionary improvements in the brain caused by brain tumors. If he has, he should show us.

I'm just a rube, not a Darwinist from Yale. But I’ve never seen cancer make a brain better.

I assume that even a layman such as yourself can see the blatant stupidity of this reasoning. How can you continue to take these DI folks seriously?

Oh my god.

Is-is Egnor REALLY a brain surgeon?

See, this is what overspecialization does to our profession, people. We learn all ther is to know on one tiny aspect or trait, and we completely forget all the rest.

--------------
A look into DAVE HAWKINS' sense of honesty:

"The truth is that ALL mutations REDUCE information"

"...mutations can add information to a genome.  And remember, I have never said that this is not possible."

Stephen Elliott

(Permalink) Posted: April 16 2007,14:40   

Quote (blipey @ April 15 2007,12:21)
Steve's point certainly deserves to be quoted again.  Here's hoping that if it's seen enough, an answer will be forthcoming.  Doubt it, but you never know.  I also think stephen elliot's point actually leaves room for discussion as well.

It should be bloody obvious to people of average intelligence that IDers are lying, dodging, wankers.  However, I also think that sometimes when you are very close to a project, it looks good.  I've done a small number of shows over the years with some pretty talented people that were absolutely hideous.

my bolding

While it does become obvious (the lies) to anyone who actually reads the arguments I can see the atraction of ID.

In all honesty when I first read about ID, I found it atractive. It did seem comforting to think that the idea of God was suported by scientific evidence.

It took a few weeks (maybe months) for me to realise just how "full of shit" the leading ID proponents where behaving.

As a result, I may be more angry/disgusted than average person here about the behaviour of the ID people. It hurts to be conned!

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: April 16 2007,14:59   

While several people in the ID movement are dishonest--Dembski and Salvador especially--my original point was to see if their fake science journal was actually fooling people like FtK. I've asked her the questions 4 times now, and she's acting like she never heard them.

For FtK:

Quote (Ftk @ April 13 2007,16:03)
By claiming that ID is "religion", you're pitting science against religion rather than trying to find a place in our universities to discuss these ~scientific~ issues in a fair and open manner.

Are you seriously fooled by things like ID's fake science journal? Does that really look like a science journal to you? Do you really look at that, and see people doing productive research? Do you really see the Discovery Institute spending millions of dollars in 2006, and putting out lots of press releases, public shows, and articles in places like National Review, and not publishing a single scientific paper all year even in their own 'journal', and conclude that you're looking at a bunch of important scientists? Really?

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: April 16 2007,15:25   

Quote (Faid @ April 16 2007,09:48)
Oh my god.

Is-is Egnor REALLY a brain surgeon?

There are some fields of medicine in which you should never, ever practice on yourself.

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: April 16 2007,15:25   

Hey FTK,  
A new study commissioned by Congress has concluded that abstinence only sex education has literally no effect at all on whether or when teenagers have sex.

http://scienceblogs.com/dispatc....d_f.php

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 16 2007,15:27   

Quote (oldmanintheskydidntdoit @ April 16 2007,15:25)
Hey FTK,    
A new study commissioned by Congress has concluded that abstinence only sex education has literally no effect at all on whether or when teenagers have sex.

Fundies aren't really bothered by the STD thing, it's the lack of kids/ vectors for there mimteic virus to infect.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: April 16 2007,15:58   

Quote (Richardthughes @ April 16 2007,15:27)
Hey FTK,    

Fundies aren't really bothered by the STD thing, it's the lack of kids/ vectors for there mimteic virus to infect.

Ya know why I don't discuss anything of depth with you guys?  As predicted, I knew you'd twist anything I say to work for you.

Someone needs to show me where I said anything about supporting abstinence "only" classes.  I would never support such a thing.  That's crazy.

--------------
"Evolution is a creationism and just as illogical [as] the other pantheistic creation myths"  -forastero

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: April 16 2007,16:02   

Quote (Ftk @ April 16 2007,15:58)
Quote (Richardthughes @ April 16 2007,15:27)

Hey FTK,      

Ya know why I don't discuss anything of depth with you guys?  As predicted, I knew you'd twist anything I say to work for you.

Someone needs to show me where I said anything about supporting abstinence "only" classes.  I would never support such a thing.  That's crazy.

it sounds like you accept the findings of the study.
Why bother to spend taxpayer $$ on something proven not to work?
edit: And if I'm twisting your words you can defend yourself here! It's, I suppose, up to me now to find a quote of you where you say "only". I'm not going to look.
And while it may be true you have in fact (and you fully realize this as your "ace") never promoted abstinence "only" classes you have in fact promoted abstinence+something else. I'm asking you why bother to promote something that does not work+something that does work when you could spend all of your available $$ on the latter?
Or to put it another way, why promote abstinence at all if it's proven not to work?

Is it your contention that promotion of abstinence is effective in the presence of, say, good sex education? How do you separate out the effects and prove abstinence promotion works at all? Do we just take your word for it?

Just wondering!

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 16 2007,16:10   

As predicted, I knew you'd twist anything I say to work for you.

ID predicts this.
:p

There's a ladder in your stockings, FTK.

--------------

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: April 16 2007,16:12   

Um....did I say anything about whether I accept the findings or not????!  

Again, I DON'T SUPPORT ABSTINENCE ONLY CLASSES.  SO, OBVIOUSLY, I WOULDN'T SUPPORT USING TAXPAYER $$ TO SUPPORT IT.

I SUPPORT ABSTINENCE PLUS SEX ED CLASSES

Jeez, you people are dense.  Of course, this is the EXACT same thing they did to the Kansas Board of Ed.  The moderates screeched to the media that the board wanted to place abstinence only sex ed classes in KS schools.  THAT WAS A COMPLETE AND UTTER LIE!  The board supported ABSTINENCE PLUS classes.  I emailed some of them myself to be sure of what they supported.

Keep spinning my friends.  It'll catch up with you in the end.

--------------
"Evolution is a creationism and just as illogical [as] the other pantheistic creation myths"  -forastero

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 16 2007,16:15   

Apparently it doesn't work though, FTK. So why teach it? Teach the controversy! There are other preventive measures that don't work. I demand equal time for:

Crossing your fingers
Jumping backwards three times after luurve making
Imagining granny taking a dump during luurve making
etc.

Edit: I did dun a bad senance and havbe to edited it out two add a words.

--------------

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: April 16 2007,16:15   

Hey FtK:

By claiming that ID is "religion", you're pitting science against religion rather than trying to find a place in our universities to discuss these ~scientific~ issues in a fair and open manner.

Are you seriously fooled by things like ID's fake science journal? Does that really look like a science journal to you? Do you really look at that, and see people doing productive research? Do you really see the Discovery Institute spending millions of dollars in 2006, and putting out lots of press releases, public shows, and articles in places like National Review, and not publishing a single scientific paper all year even in their own 'journal', and conclude that you're looking at a bunch of important scientists? Really?

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: April 16 2007,16:18   

Quote (Ftk @ April 16 2007,16:12)

Again, I DON'T SUPPORT ABSTINENCE ONLY CLASSES.  SO, OBVIOUSLY, I WOULDN'T SUPPORT USING TAXPAYER $$ TO SUPPORT IT.

I SUPPORT ABSTINENCE PLUS SEX ED CLASSES

Jeez, you people are dense.  Of course, this is the EXACT same thing they did to the Kansas Board of Ed.  The moderates screeched to the media that the board wanted to place abstinence only sex ed classes in KS schools.  THAT WAS A COMPLETE AND UTTER LIE!  The board supported ABSTINENCE PLUS classes.  I emailed some of them myself to be sure of what they supported.

Keep spinning my friends.  It'll catch up with you in the end.

Do you or not?

No, I think I clearly tried to differentiate there. I'm asking why support abstinence classes at allif they have been proven to have no effect? Irrespective of whatever else you want to mix them up with!
Or do you think they teach how not to have sex on the same day they teach you how to?
To be clear then.
1: Sex Ed. Proven to help sexual health. Check
2: Sec Ed "the abstinence" lesson. Proven to make no difference. Not Check!

To say that you support two things and accept that one does not work (not that you have, so I guess you reject the study?), or at least admit it's controversial as I believe you have indicated by your caps, seems odd to me. Why bother with the thing that does not work? Why include it at all?

--------------
FTK

Gordon Mullings

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: April 16 2007,16:23   

Quote (oldmanintheskydidntdoit @ April 16 2007,17:02)

Quote (Ftk @ April 16 2007,15:58)

edit: And if I'm twisting your words you can defend yourself here! It's, I suppose, up to me now to find a quote of you where you say "only". I'm not going to look.

You don't need to go look.  I'm going to step in here and state that I specifically recall FtK stating that she supported sex education including information about birth control.

And while it may be true you have in fact (and you fully realize this as your "ace") never promoted abstinence "only" classes you have in fact promoted abstinence+something else. I'm asking you why bother to promote something that does not work+something that does work when you could spend all of your available $$ on the latter?
Or to put it another way, why promote abstinence at all if it's proven not to work?

I am not sure what exactly you are going for here. It seems you are making the assumption that since abstinence-only sex education doesn't work, that any discussion of abstinence in sex education is wasted time. Is that really what you are saying?

Is it your contention that promotion of abstinence is effective in the presence of, say, good sex education? How do you separate out the effects and prove abstinence promotion works at all? Do we just take your word for it?

Just wondering!

Oldman, are you spoiling for a fight?  It sure looks like it to me.  What exactly are you hoping to get out of this?

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 16 2007,16:28   

carlsonjok, are you suggesting that it may have a combinatorial benefit even though in isolation it has none? The study (small sample that it is) suggest that it is just as useless when used with real sex ed.

--------------

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: April 16 2007,16:40   

Quote (stevestory @ April 16 2007,16:15)
Hey FtK:

Well, that makes SIX times and counting.

Think we can get it up to triple digits?

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: April 16 2007,16:42   

Quote (Richardthughes @ April 16 2007,17:28)
carlsonjok, are you suggesting that it may have a combinatorial benefit even though in isolation it has none? The study (small sample that it is) suggest that it is just as useless when used with real sex ed.

I'm mainly suggesting that FtK is not entirely unwarranted in her statement that she can't hardly say anything without someone trying to use it to bait her into a fight.  While I am not particularly fond of her avoidance of simple questions like "10,000 vs 4.5 billion", I do see an awful lot of extrapolation of what little she does say.

But, to your question, sex, as exuberantly joyous as it is, is not without consequences.  Some of which are, obviously, life-altering.  I think sex education should include discussion of that fact and should encourage teenagers to make intelligent choices. One of which is holding off until such a time as they can better deal with the consequences.

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: April 16 2007,16:43   

I really want answers to those questions from FtK.

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: April 16 2007,16:45   

I'm asking why support abstinence classes at allif they have been proven to have no effect?

Oh, forgive me!!  How silly of me to suggest that perhaps those youngsters may not have thought about all the baggage that can go along with having sex with whomever & whenever at a young age.

How's this..the teachers stands at the head of the classe and states that today is a big 'ol party day and the party favors are flavored condoms in a plethora of assorted colors!!!  Far out.  

Then she spouts off all the other ways to try to avoid pregnancy and STD's .  But, not to worry!  If those don't work and you still get knocked up, there's always the abortion option.

At the end of class, she can tell them to go out and fuck to their hearts delight!!!  Heck, she could pair the kids up and let them have a go at it right there in class!  They have porn classes at the university level, so why not just start those classes in high school??  That would surely give them some SEX EDUCATION.

The teacher won't have to deal with the repercussions, the parents and the students will.

What in the heck is wrong with you people? Abstinence should certainly be suggested and discussed, along with discussions of the emotional issues involved in sexual relationships.  There should also be discussion about treating the opposite sex with respect.  I'm thinking Richard and I would fail that part of the class.

--------------

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: April 16 2007,16:49   

Seven times...

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

BWE

(Permalink) Posted: April 16 2007,16:50   

Quote (Ftk @ April 16 2007,16:45)
I'm asking why support abstinence classes at allif they have been proven to have no effect?

Oh, forgive me!!  How silly of me to suggest that perhaps those youngsters may not have thought about all the baggage that can go along with having sex with whomever & whenever at a young age.

How's this..the teachers stands at the head of the classe and states that today is a big 'ol party day and the party favors are flavored condoms in a plethora of assorted colors!!!  Far out.  

Then she spouts off all the other ways to try to avoid pregnancy and STD's .  But, not to worry!  If those don't work and you still get knocked up, there's always the abortion option.

At the end of class, she can tell them to go out and fuck to their hearts delight!!!  Heck, she could pair the kids up and let them have a go at it right there in class!  They have porn classes at the university level, so why not just start those classes in high school??  That would surely give them some SEX EDUCATION.

The teacher won't have to deal with the repercussions, the parents and the students will.

What in the heck is wrong with you people? Abstinence should certainly be suggested and discussed, along with discussions of the emotional issues involved in sexual relationships.  There should also be discussion about treating the opposite sex with respect.  I'm thinking Richard and I would fail that part of the class.

FTK, For the Kids?

Boy, I can't imagine how easy life must be when you just boil it all down to black and white. Tell me, how's that workin' out for ya?

If I surrender my soul to Jesus, who do I go to for instructions?

--------------
Who said that ev'ry wish would be heard and answered
When wished on the morning star
Somebody thought of that, and someone believed it
Look what it's done so far

The Daily Wingnut

BWE

(Permalink) Posted: April 16 2007,16:55   

Quote (Richardthughes @ April 16 2007,16:15)
Apparently it doesn't work though, FTK. So why teach it? Teach the controversy! There are other preventive measures that don't work. I demand equal time for:
Imagining granny taking a dump during luurve making
etc.

No, that one works.

--------------
Who said that ev'ry wish would be heard and answered
When wished on the morning star
Somebody thought of that, and someone believed it
Look what it's done so far

The Daily Wingnut

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 16 2007,16:56   

Interestingly, I learned the difference between a pastor and a priest today.

Pastors can marry but are Gay.
Priests can't marry but are kiddy-fiddlers.

Just thought I'd work that one in there.

--------------

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: April 16 2007,17:01   

You must be daft.  There is no way in #### that I would discuss anything serious in this forum.  There are very few people here who are capable of discussion.

And, if I actually did start to engage, Lenny, Oldman, et. al. would (again) start posting numerous separate posts at a time and take up huge amounts of thread width.  They'd make it virtually impossible to carry on a conversation.  Lenny's a real piece of work.  I have no idea why you people allow him to post here.

Nope, I'll just pop in every once in a while to throw in a comment or talk dirty with Richard....until I get banned that is.

--------------

argystokes

(Permalink) Posted: April 16 2007,17:04   

Nope, I'll just pop in every once in a while to throw in a comment or talk dirty with Richard....until I get banned that is.

Get down from there, we need the lumber.

Steve, you might as well post the comment over at her blog. I think she'll let it go through.

--------------
"Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?" -Calvin

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 16 2007,17:04   

You must be daft.  There is no way in #### that I would discuss anything serious in this forum.  There are very few people here who are capable of discussion.

You not being one of them, apparently. You don't know unless you try. Thanks for the pics, BTW. I like your 'touching you toes' one, but I think the skirt was a mite short.

--------------

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: April 16 2007,17:08   

carlsonjok,
I posted the link originally with no comment except the excerpt from the post. I never claimed that FTK supported abstinence only sex ed lessons initially, I just wanted to see if FTK would respond to the article one way or the other. Seemed relevant...
Of course people should be told the full story about sex, good and bad, but promoting something for purely traditional or religions reasons, or even political cannot be good. There's even laws about it in some countries.....

However, I could have been clearer in my follow on posts regarding what FTK did and did not say. Sorry FTK.

--------------
FTK

Gordon Mullings

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: April 16 2007,17:11   

Quote (Ftk @ April 16 2007,17:01)

And, if I actually did start to engage, Lenny, Oldman, et. al. would (again) start posting numerous separate posts at a time and take up huge amounts of thread width.  They'd make it virtually impossible to carry on a conversation.  Lenny's a real piece of work.  I have no idea why you people allow him to post here.

well, I'll opt out of this thread and start another where we'll talk about this one. If that's what it'll take to get you to answer Steve's question.

--------------
FTK

Gordon Mullings

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: April 16 2007,17:13   

You must be daft.  There is no way in #### that I would discuss anything serious in this forum.

So no answer to my question of whether plate tectonics was decided in public debates? Or why a 10,000-YO earth is totally plausible? DARN.  :(

(Do you even BELIEVE in plate tectonics?)

There are very few people here who are capable of discussion.

That's actually quite untrue, but how would you know that, not having tried?

And, if I actually did start to engage, Lenny, Oldman, et. al. would (again) start posting numerous separate posts at a time and take up huge amounts of thread width.

Your concern for 'thread width' is touching.

They'd make it virtually impossible to carry on a conversation.

Again, you seem never to have tried. AFDave 'carried on conversations' here for NINE MONTHS, you can't even aspire to his standards?

Lenny's a real piece of work.  I have no idea why you people allow him to post here.

Not everyone shares your commitment to censorship.

Just not up to it, eh? I am Jack's total lack of surprise.

But what will you do when you fail to get banned?

--------------

10202 replies since Mar. 17 2007,23:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (341) < ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]